My sweet baby girls turned 6 weeks today!!! They’ve been some of the busiest and happiest weeks we’ve experienced and can’t believe they are already growing up so fast!
Photograph by Jessica Peterson
In preparation for their arrival, I was determined to be fully prepared as far as gear and supplies go. My advice is to ask advice of what others use, and what to skip.
Now that I’m an experienced Mum (yeah, right!), I’m sharing my top 5 favorite picks of what products I’ve LOVED and wouldn’t have wanted to live without this past month. Here goes!
1. Target Diapers: This one was highly recommended by a friend, but took the test of comparing them to Huggies in person to believe how great they are. Our babies were 6lbs 15oz and 5lbs 7oz, so definitely on the small side. These diapers didn’t swallow them up, but kept them nice and snug and held up great for those fully loaded nightmares! Buying in bulk and on sale, these cost around 11.7 cents each, making them the cheapest out there. Holler Target, yet again! Also, as an added bonus, they are mostly white, which makes them great for photographs. No Micky Mouse or Pooh Bear anywhere! (see HERE).
2. Tommee Tippee Steam Sterilizer: We’ve really loved a lot of the Tommee Tippee products, but this one takes the cake. Mum found this one, and it has truly been amazing. Feeding 2 babies is no small task, so time shortcuts are a must. Pop this baby in the microwave for 4 minutes and then let stand for 3 and you have yourself perfectly sterilized bottles, binkies and pump accessories! The kit also comes with a bottle and binky and is only $22!!! (see HERE).
3. Burp Cloths: Mum told us we could never have too many, and even with us doing laundry every day, it’s so true! We have about 12 per baby and use them everywhere for everything. Under heads for sleeps, under necks for feeds, over shoulders for burps! They cut down on the wash-load for bigger items and it’s nice to always have a clean place for baby’s head to spit up on! Any burp cloth would do the job. These cloth diapers are perfect and great value for around $2.60 each (see HERE).
4. Swaddle Blankets: Again, Mum said I couldn’t have enough and with 8 per baby she was right! Size is EVERYTHING; the smaller ones don’t work half as well. You need the big ones to fully get those babies in a swaddle they can’t get out of! Life is easier with a swaddled baby, trust me! Unfortunately, the good ones are also the pricey ones, but the money you save buying cheap diapers can help fill the gap! These Aden + Anais ones are amazing (see HERE): nice and thin. The thicker ones by Swaddle Designs are also a must, and you can often find deals in their clearance section HERE.
5. Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Calming Lotion: Another friend recommendation, and I’m totally in love. Babies smell delicious on their own, but adding this to the mix after bath time is amazing. Plus, I think the lavender helps baby sleep which is always a plus:) This feels luxurious, but it’s quite the deal at around $6 (see HERE).
I hope these recommendations come in handy, either for you or a loved one.
What items are on your go-to list for newborns? Do tell!