We love babies with a big ole’ bow, but have found them to be quite uncomfortable for little heads. They are usually also so expensive, especially when buying multiple!
We’ve been playing around with making our own simple bows that are soft and pretty for baby.
.Here’s what we came up with. Cute right?!
(Left: Elizabeth | Right: Hannah)
Here’s How to Make Your Own:
1. We measured the babies heads and cut our piece of tights to be 4″ smaller. This will be different depending on each pair of tights and how readily they stretch. (You can make multiple headbands from just a pair of tights).
2. Fold in half and pin ends in place, ready to sew.
3. Use needle and thread to sew two ends together (or use sewing machine).
4. Trim excess fabric after sewing.
5. It should look something like this:
6. Flip headband inside out, it should look like this on the finished side.
7. Now for the tricky part! You want to create an “M” shape with your fingers and glue the two peaks of the “M” with a hot glue gun together. You just need a tiny dab of glue.
8. Next turn the headband inside out again and glue the two edges into the center.
9. This is what it will look like:
For the Bow:
1. Layer your tulle accordion style, you can use as much as you like.
2. Gather tulle in center to create a bow look.
3. Pinch center together and tie with string to secure bow.
4. Hot glue bow onto headband.
5. Secure with a small piece of ribbon which is glued underneath the headband.
This process is actually a lot easier and faster than it looks. It only takes about 10 minutes to make one, and then you’re a pro.
We are working on all different colors to match all the outfits, and have been thinking of them as gift options too. Wouldn’t it be great to gift several of these for a baby shower?! We are loving them!
Let us know if you encounter any problems or have questions, we know it’s hard to understand in a step-by-step like this. We promise, once you start playing with it, you’ll see it’s a piece of cake!
Here’s to happy babies with comfy headbands, and happy mommas saving $$$!!!